What the Family Learned this Week

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Death of Popular Culture, The Benefits of Being On-Hold, And Fun With Genealogy OR What We Learned This Week:

By: Dalan Granat


1.  Sorry Millennials, Everything Cool Already Happened.

Two weeks ago I took my daughter to the mall to ride the train (I know that sounds weird, but South Town Mall has a little kids train that zips around--and my kid loves it).  While waiting for the returning train I stood next to a 17 year old kid.  He wore a Joy Division T-Shirt.  

I told him I liked his shirt and that he should check out the John Peel Sessions.  He stared at me blankly.  I then asked him what his favorite Joy Division album was, and he again looked at me blankly.  After a moment he said "Love Will Tear Us Apart" which while it is a Joy Division song it is not one of their albums. I then realized this kid didn't know much about the band whose shirt he was wearing. I guess he just though it looked cool.

I suggest a rule that no one be able to wear a band's shirt unless they can name at least 2 albums and 3 songs from said band. I think that's fair. But try explaining that to 17 year old hipsters. 

When did I become the old guy?  And how can I feel old when everything that is considered cool by today's youth culture is actually from my generation and earlier?


The 'Songs of the Summer' this year have been Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines".  Both of which have a "retro" sound like they could have been made in 1978.  The kids I saw at the mall wore sunglasses with neon-colored frames and t-shirts with Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, and The Cure on them. Yet they seem very confident in their own personal uniqueness.

I know every generation looks backwards to a point, but I wonder how long popular culture can survive if it is simply borrowing from the past and it's not creating anything new? I'm not sure. But I am sure that Lady Gaga and One Direction will not be on t-shirts in 30 years time.


2.  Customer Service Isn't Dead. It Just Takes A Long Time. 


Last week I had the unfortunate experience of having my laptop battery explode.  It actually made my computer pop up off the table as if possessed by a demon poltergeist.  Scary to say the least. Turns out purchasing a new battery for a laptop is expensive.


While researching on Apple.com the price/availability of a new battery for a 4 year old laptop, I found a recall notice related to my issue.  Batteries of this era were slightly defective and would expand and "pop" due to the heat from the processor.  This recall notice stated that Apple would replace the defective battery for free.  However, it had been posted 3 years ago. I hoped Apple would still honor that offer.

What followed was an almost 3 hour period of emails, webchats, and phone calls with various members of Apple's customer service department.  All of which told me they couldn't honor a recall that was so old.  I however remained undeterred because there was no expiration date mentioned on their recall notice, and I fully expected them to send me a new battery for free.

Was told that they couldn't do that multiple times all the while being being passed up from customer service reps to assistant managers to department managers. After being put on hold for 25 minutes straight (to see if I would just get discouraged, hang up, and go away) I finally made it to the head of customer relations who solved my problem in under five minutes.  Two days later I had a new laptop battery arrive in the mail. Success for the persistent.

3.  Family History Is Closer Than We Realize.

Giving the dearth of summer TV programming (I'm looking at you talent shows and obstacle courses) it is fun to discover something you actually enjoy.  This summer we've been watching "Who Do You Think You Are" a genealogy/family history show where they trace the family trees of various celebrities and Kelly Clarkson. 


It's an overly produced and less interesting version of the show that Henry Louis Gates has been doing on PBS for years; nevertheless it is still more entertaining than watching game show contestants try and solve fake murders or watching twentysomethings saying racist things while locked up in a house.

In any case, I love shows that bring history alive, and that often happens when these celebrities are researching their own families.  Our ancestors didn't know they were living in history.  They were just living. But you go far enough back in anyone's family line and they were someplace interesting in history.  Which of course bring me to Ikea.

Went to Ikea the other day and came face to face with our family's Swedish roots.  Did you know we have our own line of pillows now?


Our family history is alive and kicking in the form of throw-pillows.  That may not be as exciting as discovering Chris O'Donnell's ancestor was at the famous defense of Fort McHenry-- But it's something. And it really brings who you are into focus.



3 comments:

  1. Love it! We love that genealogy show - and it just got renewed for next year. Glad to hear about your lap top battery - way to be persistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to hear that about customer service, and the hipsters, it's hard enough to blend in with all these college kids around :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud you are my brother - persistence is key (without being too rude) in regards to customer service issues. Glad it worked out. Also I think we all should get some Granat pillows for Christmas. Thanks for the fun...

    ReplyDelete