What the Family Learned this Week

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"I'm running and I'm running and I'm still running"







By Lauren LaClare


So last week I ran the Chicago Marathon.  I trained for 18 weeks...running hundreds of miles over 4 1/2 months...with the hopes of being able to run 26.2 miles on race day.  This is my 4th time running a marathon but my first one being the big 4-0! 

The beginning of my training went fine...I ran...and ran...then about week 15 of the training my body was like, "hey old lady you are too old and not really the right body type to be running as much as you are." I was having hip pain, calf pain, foot pain, pretty much my left side of my body was really mad at me. A doctor told me I had tendonitis...pretty much muscle tears were causing the pain.  He said with rest and time it would heal...but with only 4 days before the race he said a whole lot of medical strategic taping would have to be good enough.

So with lots of prayers, my tape in hand...(well actually on my foot) a whole lotta ibuprofen, and caffeinated power gels in my pocket I crossed the starting line.  In running this marathon you get to see the best in people.  Everyone is so excited and happy and supportive of this crazy (yes I know it's crazy) race. People are lined up the entire way cheering, singing, high fiving, or passing out Vaseline (ya don't want to know) or candy for a little sugar boost.   There are lots of funny signs...my fave, "Run Random Stranger Run." Or..."This is the worst parade EVER." Pretty much I had a smile on my face the whole time.

I was slow and steady and finished feeling great.  My motto was I am not here for a good time...but here for a GOOD time." And like in life sometimes all you can ask after doing something hard is that you finish and still have a smile on your face. :)

1 comment:

  1. You are crazy, but its amazing that you do it! Way to go and I am glad you were able to run the race and that you were able to spend some time in your beloved Chicago.

    ReplyDelete