What the Family Learned this Week

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Just Keep Swimming……….



Well a couple of weeks ago Merritt got the chance to swim in her first swim meet and I went with her. We had to travel 2 hours in a bus, leaving at 5:30 in the morning to arrive at a big dome filled with 2 large pools, loud music, and a strong chlorine smell!!! I learned quickly (no shocker) that I was overdressed. I did not heed the warnings that my feet would get wet...and my clothes..etc etc. So after about 6 hours the bottom of my black polyester (that fabric really held on to that water) jumpsuit was soaked about halfway up my calves. But enough about me I am just trying to fill some space.

So back to the swim meet. I have never seen Merritt swim and she blew me away with her great form and speed. (and I can totally brag because this is a family blog) She didn't get disqualified in any of her events...which is fairly common...especially for a first timer.
She was confident and rocked it out!! Her coach asked me if she was clumsy on land because lots of great swimmers apparently trip and fall down a lot!! Plus her coach said Merritt was a great swimmer.

So Merritt and I were both out of our comfort zones as I was hanging with a bunch of adults I didn't know who wore tevas and t-shirts...I know the horror...and Merritt walked right up to her starting block and just kept swimming and swimming.

So the moral of this (not my best) post is sometimes a lot of good can come from trying new things. But I still will not be wearing any water friendly shoes to the next meet.  Just maybe shorter pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment